Boeing Bariatric Surgery Services
We know that losing weight can be difficult. If you are struggling with obesity and related health problems, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, and you have tried to lose weight without success, bariatric surgery may be right for you.
UCI Health was chosen as a Boeing Center of Excellence because of our expertise and our ability to offer active and retired employees and their dependents the best in bariatric surgery.
Our weight-loss team offers the most successful and least invasive weight-loss surgery options. Our patients shed excess weight and experience a dramatic improvement in weight-related health problems and quality of life.
The UCI Health Bariatric Surgery Program is accredited and held to the highest standards of quality available in bariatric surgery. Our bariatric team includes nationally regarded gastrointestinal surgeons and other medical experts who collaborate closely in their care for you.
We have a dedicated Boeing Bariatric Concierge available at 844-NUSHAPE (844-687-4273). The concierge can be reached Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. to assist you in your bariatric journey.
To learn more, visit the Getting Started tab below to see if you may be eligible for bariatric surgery.
Distinguished, nationally recognized surgeons
- The nationally recognized UCI Health bariatric surgery team is led by Dr. Ninh Nguyen, who is board-certified in surgery and is past president of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Our surgeons have repeatedly been named “Best Doctors in America” based on national surveys of their peers. They have also been repeatedly named “Physicians of Excellence” by the Orange County Medical Association.
- Our physicians are experts in laparoscopic surgery methods. Our studies have shown that laparoscopic patients have less postoperative pain, a lower risk of infection, spend fewer days in the hospital, recover faster and make more rapid improvements in their overall health and quality of life.
Comprehensive care team
- Our team collaborates closely in their care for you. You are never alone. Your care team will include a physician, dietitian, social worker, behavioral specialist and psychologist.
We provide full-service, personalized care throughout your journey to health and body transformation. Before any surgery takes place, every patient meets our care team to ensure that your surgery is appropriate, safe and successful.
- Throughout your journey, our Boeing Bariatric Concierge is here for you. If you have questions or need assistance at any time, just pick up the phone and our dedicated concierge will help you.
Quality-driven, accredited program
Our program is accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), which means we are held to the highest standards of quality available in bariatric surgery.
We are designated as a Blue Distinction Center + for Bariatric Surgery by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. This designation is earned by offering the complete range of weight-loss surgical care services.
Take a tour of UCI Health Douglas Hospital ›
- We are dedicated to the comfort and satisfaction of all of our patients. When you arrive, we offer valet parking. If you forgot something or need a snack, visit our gift shop and dining room, located off of the spacious and bright UCI Health Douglas Hospital lobby.
- During your stay, you and your companion can enjoy one of our private patient rooms, which have a private bathroom and extra seating for guests.
When you are a patient with us, you are supported by a collaborative team of experts who work with you through every step of your bariatric surgery journey.
The nationally recognized UCI Health bariatric surgery team is led by Dr. Ninh Nguyen, who is board-certified in surgery and is past president of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Our team also includes a dietitian, behavioral specialist, medical weight-loss physicians, anesthesiologists and psychologists:
Learn more about our team ›
- Amber Isenhart, MS, RD
- Janet Ramirez, MSW
Clinical Social Worker
- Sharon So, RN, CBN
- Mercy Gutierrez
- Nicole Graham
Boeing Bariatric Concierge
From start to finish, our program gives you the support, information and encouragement you need to reach your goals and live your best life.
When you choose the UCI Health Boeing Bariatric Program, you're choosing a collaborative, skilled team of surgeons, dietitians, behavioral specialists and nurses.
If you have questions at any point along the way, we have a dedicated Boeing Bariatric Concierge to serve you.
View our step by step guide to learn how our program works ›
Check your insurance
Contact Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois at 1-888-802-8776 to get more information on the Boeing Centers of Excellence benefit and determine eligibility requirements.
Check your BMI
Bariatric surgery may be an option for you if you have a BMI of 35 or more. Check your BMI here ›
If you meet the basic eligibility criteria for bariatric surgery, sign up to learn more ›
See how our program works ›